- To provide every student with the opportunity to develop the maximum degree of functional competence in English that he or she is capable of, given the constraints inherent in the situation. Competence in those domains of use which are specifically appropriate to the situation in Hong Kong will be emphasized.
– English as a key to communication
– English as a tool for study
– English as a medium of pleasure and entertainment
- To enhance our students’ ability of the four basic English lianguage skills: reading,
- speaking, listening and writing
- To develop competence in English as a medium of instruction for further studies
- To provide an enjoyable atmosphere to motivate pupils’ interests in learning English
- To apply English in daily life
- To provide an opportunity to use English as a medium of communication with other
Objectives for this Year
- To raise the effectiveness of teaching and learning through teachers’ professional development
- From the school-based assignments and the class performance, it shows that students’ learning ability(communication skills-reading and writing) has been raised
- To raise students’ learning motivation through activities in class and outside the classroom
The Integrated English Language Programme (IELP) has been implemented in our school for more than 5 years. The use of high-interest big story books supported by activities focusing on different language levels helps raising students’ interests and proficiency in learning English.
The school works with CECES and implements the “Learning to Learn English Language Programme” (LLELP) in primary 4-6. In this programme, different text types, tasks, activities and games are used to raise students’ interests in learning English. Students are also taught to develop basic reading strategies and skills for thinking, gathering information, evaluation and analyses. The learning activities are student-centered, contextualized and diversified. Students will go through different learning activities, such as guided reading, sustained silent reading, KWL and retelling which help develop our students’ study skills and train them as independent learners.
- Teachers will incorporate different reading strategies in the reading tasks.
- NET teacher will have reading workshops in primary 1 to 3. Students will enjoy the reading workshop with our NET teacher, Miss Elizabeth. In order to raise our students’ interests in reading English, parents are invited to join our reading workshops to read and play with our students.
- Miss Liz Time & English World
- Teachers will incorporate different writing strategies in the writing tasks. The use of different graphic organizers will help students to gather information and organize their ideas for writing.
- Students work in small groups on a shared piece of writing. After the class and the group writing, students are more confident and well-trained to do their individual writing.
Listening and Speaking
- Listening and speaking skills are integrated in daily lessons. Students’ listening and speaking skills will be enhanced through the cooperative learning activities.
- Throughout the year, there are enhancement course for primary 3 and primary 6 students. In the courses, students will participate in different speaking activities.
- The Interview skills workshop equips our students with the speaking and conversational skills in English. There is plenty of chance for students to practice their speaking and conversational skills.
- Students will have speaking and listening activities in the eLearning Room. Students can carry out the activity according to their pace.